The Sr. Credit Analyst is responsible for credit and collateral risk analysis for business lending, by providing guidance and assistance to the Business Lending Manager in terms of analyzing financial information and providing loan structure recommendations. Responsible for portfolio management which include timely servicing and management of the portfolio. Responsible for pipeline management and providing guidance to the Sales Team and Collections Department.
- Responsible for the effective and professional completion of underwriting and due diligence as it relates to business loans and participations. Time:40%
- Approve and or deny business loan requests based on the underwriting results, within authorized lending authority.
- Analyzes the Financial Statements, Tax Returns, Environmental Studies, and Appraisals etc., to evaluate the risks of business loan applications. Assist in the development of less experienced analysts and serve as the subject matter expert among peer underwriting staff.
- Responsible for the preparation of the UFCU Credit Memorandum. Recommend and manage to loan covenants, collateral controls and loan structures on business loan requests.
- Evaluation of appraisals, environmental assessments, construction and construction management reports or contracts, and participation agreements as required.
- Works directly with outside agencies that provide government guarantees or 3rd party underwriting support to the Credit Union. Responsible for the review and management of required documentation as it pertains to government lending programs (SBA, etc).
- Provide management with clear, concise and accurate written and verbal communications regarding UFCU, NCUA and other federal and state regulations covering all aspects related to business lending.
- Responsible for efficient and effective management of the existing business portfolio. Responsible for timely collection of required financial statements, renewal of maturing loans, annual reviews and other portfolio management specific duties. Time:30%
- Monitors expiring and at-risk loans for signs of financial deterioration. Using an understanding of the credit principals, recommends changes in risk rating for loans.
- Recommends corrective actions and may initiate the process of working out loans which have been decided are no longer reasonable credit risks with support from management.
- Provides periodic updates on portfolio management related metrics such as annual review completion and financial information collection. Leverage and implement tools within the business loan origination system to assist in portfolio management tracking.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned. Time: 15%
- Participates in cross-functional teams related to special projects dealing with UFCU’s core systems as assigned (i.e. department reports and system testing).
- Participates in establishing policy, procedure, and guidelines.
- Participates in training new hires and the development of existing analysts.
- Participates directly in all internal and NCUA audits.
- Responsible for maintaining industry knowledge regarding lending standards and legal requirements.
- Oversees the process of loan documentation and coordinates with the Sales Team to ensure closing of new loans and renewals as necessary. Time:10%
- Responsible for file updates and comments posted in the Business Loan Origination System, and also ensure that all milestones are in place, documentation is present, and there is clear communications within each credit file.
- Ensures accuracy of all loan documentation packages as required.
- Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective communication, coordination, and working relations with UFCU personnel and with management. Time: 5%
- Coordinates functions with related departments and branches providing support as needed.
- Assist Support Operations as needed.
- Keep management informed of area activities and of any significant problems.
- Attends and participates in meetings and committees as required.
- Completes required reports and records.
- Bachelor's degree in business-related field or two years of related work experience required.
In addition to the education requirement:
- Minimum of 3 years in an accounting/or financial analysis field experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years Bank or Credit Union business underwriting experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced understanding of GAAP accounting, federal and state tax structures, legal entities, real estate appraisals and environmental review is necessary.
- Excellent communication and public relations skills.
- Strong analytical abilities.
- Excellent customer service abilities by phone, email, or in-person.
- Able to use financial calculator and related computer applications and business machines
- Understanding of financial analysis and determination of credit worthiness.
- Ability to prepare memos, reports, and essays using proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar.
- Problem Solving
- Drive for Results
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Time Management
- Demonstrates Courage
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Customer Focus
- Integrity and Trust
- Business Acumen
- Ability to deal with a variety of variables under only limited standardization.
- Able to interpret various instructions.
- Ability to compute discount, interest, profit, and loss; ratio and proportion and percentage.
- Ability to prepare memos, reports and essays.
Tools and Equipment Used
- All available general office equipment as needed.
- All available computer software and hardware as needed.
- Daily, personal/written/phone contact with Credit Union members.
- Daily, personal/written/phone contact with Credit Union staff.
- Daily, personal/written/phone contact with Credit Union management.
- Communication skills - Especially where one must frequently convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
- Movements frequently and regularly required using the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Average, ordinary, visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products, or operate machinery.
- Sedentary work; sitting most of the time. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. (Almost all office jobs.)
Internal - Work is normally performed in climate controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephone, etc.) No known environmental hazards are encountered in normal performance of duties. Length of day is unpredictable; long hours may be required to accommodate deadlines or special meetings.
External - Some travel may be required; however, information on environmental conditions is not available.
St. Joseph, Michigan, United States